Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

01 August 2006

Melting is an Art Form

I enjoy the hot weather and look forward to the spike in temperature every summer. However, this heat wave we're experiencing is a bit extended and over the top. Let me just say, I LOVE my AC. (This is not breaking news for anyone in the continental U.S., who I am sure is embarking on a similar love affair.)

I welcomed this past weekend and reveled in lounging in the Family Fun Center. The water managed to stay chilly for many hours, so I was able to refresh my tan and use nature's cooling mechanism all in one. A productive use of the weekend days, if I do say so myself.

Seeing as I don't have such luxuries during the week, I quickly gave up trying to stay cool while commuting or while working in the penthouse office with sun beating through the windows and AC that is weaker than my whistle. Instead, I have opted for melting with style.

I strut down the street and convince myself that it is sunny and 70 while sweat is blinding me as it trickles into my squinting eyes.

I imagine the light breeze is gently blowing my wavy hair away from my face rather than making the frizzy thick mass cling to my flushed and damp forehead.

I picture myself wearing a loose, flirty sundress tickling the back of my knees instead of the uncomfortable suit clinging to my back and hips.

Oddly enough, such fantasies calm me and put me in a more peaceful place until I can collapse inside air conditioning. I do wonder just how much longer I can lie to myself, though. I have given up looking in mirrors because my hair is beyond repair (yes, even indoors). And when I do catch a glimpse of myself- reflected in a storefront window, perhaps- I audibly gasp and move faster, far, far away from the offending sight. Again, I can only do this for so long.

Despite any lies to myself, I was certain that all of this sweating would surely make me drop a minimum of 5 pounds. I'm still waiting.

=================================

The good thing about the heat wave is I have little desire to do much but chill in front of the AC when I return from the office. Which means I am getting a lot of movie and TV watching in, due entirely to my friends at NetFlix. This really was the best prize I have ever won (forget the fact that it is also one of the only ones I've ever won).

Because it was critically-acclaimed and I heard so many good things about it, I queued up "Arrested Development," and am halfway through season two. I have no idea why I never watched this show when it was on the air. It is by far one of the funniest, smartest shows that was on the tube in the past 5+ years.

It has also renewed my pre-teen crush on Jason Bateman. Funny how things come full circle.

=================================

Because heat weakens the body and mind, it's little surprise I found myself in the midst of a little accident Saturday night. A big glass at a local bar found it's way crashing down around my flip-flopped feet. Who knew flying glass could slash so deep? I'm healing well, but can only shake my head at the stories associated with some of my scars (or soon to be scars).

=================================

And because one must think of island heat in the midst of a heat wave (but of course!), I am officially planning my winter vacation. I am 99% certain I will be saying Bonjour to St. Maarten in November. Around then, my tan will need a major boost and I will be ready to warm up my chilly skin and rejuvenate my body, mind, and spirit.

2 Comments:

  • My favorite thing about the heat wave is NO COOKING! Take-out is just all too wonderful.

    By Blogger tallulah, at 3:24 PM  

  • No cooking indeed! I've been living on wine and cheese.

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home