Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

10 April 2006

Packing, Part 1

If there is one thing I'm good at, it's moving. I've done a lot of it for the past 14 years. I'm a reformed nomad. But in my reformation efforts, I seem to have lost the get-up-and-go in my packing mindset. I know what to do. My mind has a clear picture of all that needs to be accomplished. However, my get up and go got up and went. And I need it to come back. I've literally stared at my big all-purpose/junk room for the past week wondering where to begin.

As I surveyed the room for the zillionth time yesterday afternoon, I came to the sad realization that this was going to be more difficult than past moves, if only because I have taken to just tossing things haphazardly into the room. Wherever it landed, that was "home" for the particular discarded belonging -- until now, when I need to actual categorize it.

First on the list was pictures. I love them. But I hate putting them in albums or boxes or any sort of orderly place. So the past three years worth of pictures have taken up one big corner of the all-purpose room. Last night I began putting them in order, and it's been really fantastic. I've forgotten about some of these fantastic times, and it's a wonderful way to recall them. I've made a lot of headway between last night and a few hours tonight. I'm in May 2005 -- so just one more year of pictures to go. And then...boxing up the albums. I just know when I tape some of the boxes shut, I'll feel like I've accomplished a huge task and will have the desire to move on to something bigger. Like books. I shudder to think about that project.

By completing some smaller tasks, the packing groove will come back, and I'll get back into true form. There's a lot to be done between now and the end of the month, though. I figure if I can pack just one box between now and the end of the month, I'll be done long before I'll ever have to be. I just need this to go smoothly. Because this move, coupled with the chaos of work (so, so, so chaotic and will continue to be this way for another week), is driving me batty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home