Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

12 February 2006

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

So earlier in the week, after a couple of months of phone and e-mail tag, Erik the Real Estate Dude and I finally were able to have a real conversation. Turns out that conversation was mostly about the flat tire he got as he came home from the airport. Uh...Sorry? I thought we were going to talk about MY NEW HOME. You know, the one of which you're going to arrange the sale and acquisition.

His trip to Costa Rica and the subsequent flat tire stories are probably very interesting, and I'm not kidding when I say I would one day like to hear them. But when you haven't even technically met, isn't it appropriate to just stick to business and offer your services? I was hopeful as we hung up, thinking that this was the week things were going to really take off.

I couldn't have been more wrong. A couple days later, Erik decided that he was still "catching up" so he wanted me to go through a mindless, stupid exercise whereby I indicate my interest levels in all of the properties I have already gone through (and rated on a scale of 1-5, per his request). I told him it seemed like a waste of time, but I was bored at work so I played along.

Two days ago Erik called. No, not to thank me for completing the aforementioned mindless, stupid task, but to indicate that he just couldn't show me any properties any time soon. The first reason being that he was still catching up on sleep (side note to Erik: It should not take you 5 days to get over a trip to Costa Rica. If it does, you need to pop a vitamin or visit a doctor because you have larger problems), and the second being he needed the pre-approval letter from the mortgage broker. So, um, let me get this straight: If you weren't still catching up on sleep, having the letter wouldn't matter? Are these mutually exclusive items? Help me out, Erik, because they both sound like really lame excuses. And you know what, Boy Real Estate Agent, ask and you shall receive. But stop with the "I am mighty and powerful agent" act. It so doesn't work with me.

So Sheila, who lives down the block, just so happens to be a real estate agent for Erik's competitor. In passing, she asked how my home hunt was going and I shared my frustrations. She offered to assist me, and ya know, I had a really good feeling about it. Naturally, I agreed to her assistance, and now I need to break-up with Real Estate Dude. Not because the stories aren't riveting and not because I can't get enough of the mindless tasks. But because I need someone I can trust will do the job. And this is sort of important to me and I need someone to care just a little bit. And I'm not getting any of that from young Erik. And I know Sheila will do the job and do it well. And I am soooo excited now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home