Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

21 June 2006

Welcome Back, Summer

Today is the official start to summer. After a steamy weekend that just screamed "Death Heat Arrives" (and I adore it), things cooled down and now we're muggy and overcast. The first day of summer and this is it? What a let-down. It better not be a sign of things to come.

It was pissing down from the sky this morning -- enough that I needed an umbrella. It didn't even hold together until I made it to the office. It's currently residing in a garbage can at Wacker and Adams, inside-out and beyond repair. Fingers crossed the sun decides to come out or at the very least the rain goes away because I don't much fancy the thought of a walk to the train station in rain. Ick.

The book club that has been on hiatus for 1+ year is reuniting tonight, sans several original members. Because I have the new home, it's being held at my lovely abode. I went out last night to purchase wine (a must) and several yummy nibbles...to the tune of $109 and some change! Sure, there were personal sundries included as well- toothpaste, mouthwash, cotton balls, astringent- as well as some nessities I was lacking- bread crumbs, eggs- but for the most part everything was for this evening. Since when did food get so expensive? Toothpicks cost me nearly $2! Nearly $2! For baby wood sticks! Unbelievable. It's true my cabinets are never bursting at the seams and my fridge is semi-bare on a good day. I suppose I forgot why...and here is an excellent reminder.

2 Comments:

  • When you stop and think about everything that has to happen to make a toothpick, 2 bucks for a box kinda seems like a bargain. I wonder if it's even economically possible to chop down a big tree for $2. See, when you look at it that way, you got a screaming deal! How was book night and what was your book?

    By Blogger Elle Starr, at 9:48 PM  

  • Hee...I guess you're right. Although, if that's the case, I could've just collected some twigs from outside, washed and dried and chopped them up and done it myself. They just wouldn't have been pretty (or that appealing).

    Book club night was fab. We read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. A memoir that was darn good. Highly recommended.

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home