Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

13 June 2006

My Place Isn't a Hotel, but It Can Act Like One

One of the bonuses of the new pad is I am right by great friend Rafferty. In a car, it takes me less than 5 minutes to careen down the twisty streets to her apartment (and I assume vice-versa for her).

Rafferty lost her hot water Sunday. Just up and gone. When I swung by to grab her for our pedi that afternoon, she told me the horrors of bathing in ice cold water. Sounds terrible.

Because she has a set of keys to the condo (for mail collection during my travels and other conveniences), she told me she may have to come by and shower/change for work in the morning. Naturally, I didn't think anything of it. We used to rent a house together and we share well. I would do it for anyone in need, but especially a good friend like her. Plus, I'm out of the house 2 hours before she comes by, and my place is closer to her office than she is. Makes sense.

Naturally, I forgot about this lack-of-hot-water situation until I was halfway to work yesterday. I figured she could find the towel on her own. She did, and also helped herself to the shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, anti-frizz ointment, and perfume.

No hot water again today. One of my towels (which is now "hers") is hanging on the towel rack. She came over again this morning and did her routine and included enjoying a glass of soda. Her landlord is vacationing in Florida. One of his sons is coming over to inspect the situation tonight. She isn't very optimistic that the situation will be resolved before the end of the week. I fully expect to be offering my bathroom to her the rest of the week.

She's joked that she will eventually move in without me knowing...and the funny thing is, I could actually picture it. Seeing as our schedules are so opposite, how long would it take me to notice?

I have tried to convince her that she should come over a few hours early, make me breakfast and then when I leave she can begin her routine. Rafferty hates getting up early and getting to work on time, so I've been assured that will not happen.

Perhaps I should start leaving a little receptacle for her to deposit a nominal fee for the use of my hot water and sundries laying about. I wonder how much I could make. I wonder if I should start offering my bathroom to other people in need as well and really charging them. This could be an interesting and unconventional money-making scheme.

Hmmmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home