Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

06 May 2006

Waiting for the Cable Guy

It seems like I'm always waiting for someone. Back when W worked with me, it was a running joke that I spent more time waiting for him (answers to questions, going on a break, leaving for lunch) than I did actually doing my job. This week my waiting is more service-oriented: waiting for furniture to be delivered; waiting for movers.

In all of these scenarios, the actual amount of time spent waiting was either acceptable in length or expected and used more for nitpicking purposes than anything else. However, today I am waiting on the Big Deal. The cable guy is coming to hook me up. This is important. I have somehow managed to survive a week with three channels (only one of which is halfway decent). If I find nothing I like on those three channels, I'm SOL because it's that or fuzz. And after seeing White Noise, I prefer quickly skipping over those spooky channels.

But I digress. The Cable Guy is coming, scheduled for this afternoon between 12 and 4. I admittedly set it up late, so I can't complain about my lack of TV entertainment the past week. If nothing else, this week has given me plenty of time to do more constructive things -- like test out my wine glasses and ensure they survived the move. They all work fine.

Comcast called me this morning. In fact, their automated caller had the nerve to wake me up. At 8am. After a late (really late) night out, I wasn't pleased and even tried pushing some buttons to get to a real person. To ask them if they were aware of the time, of course. But see, that's why they have a computer calling me. All of their employees are asleep at 8am. Like I should've been. Anyway, Lady Computer Voice confirmed today's appointment and I thought, "Oh good, just 4 more hours and the cable will be working and I can have the rest of my day for me." Yeah, nice thought.

I am almost 2 hours into my wait. It's not like waiting for furniture or waiting for movers or even waiting for W. It's a million times worse. Because I just know that they'll arrive at 3:55. They'll still be considered on time. And my entire day will be ruined. It's a gorgeous day in Chicago. I should be out enjoying it. And instead I am stuck indoors, wistfully looking out the window and trying to enjoy an occasional breeze.

I'd turn on the TV to occupy my time, but there's only three channels and fuzz. I'm out of wine, so I couldn't even start drinking early if I wanted to. I'm not patient enough to wait. This sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home