Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

04 May 2006

Office Annoyances

My sales guy is a bit strange. He's jolly as can be and very sweet in this rough-around-the-edges (and yes, strange) sort of way. But he has some annoying quirks that disturb me to no end. As he sits on the other side of my cube, some of these annoyances irk me in ways I can barely stand.

For instance, this morning Sales Guy decided to clip his nails at his desk. While I appreciate the fact that he wants to be well-groomed, this seems like a task that is better kept for the confines of his home. There is nothing more annoying than hearing the clip-clip-clip sound for what seems like forever.

And I truly must wonder: Where exactly did he put the nail clippings when he was done? Because I've seen the state of his desk. I doubt they immediately went into the trash. Ick. Just ick.

As if that wasn't a wonderfully pleasing way to start my morning in the office, he seems to have contracted a bit of a summer cold. Or perhaps he has a touch of allergies. Or maybe he was just a little snot-filled this afternoon. But there is nothing worse than hearing the sniff...sniff-sniff...SNIFF -- and then the choking and gutteral hocking up of whatever snot he inadvertently swallowed too fast. Yeecchhh! I can't even describe how my stomach turned.

Thinking I was being more than helpful -- for him and his nose and me and my sanity -- I threw him some Kleenex from over the cube wall. And he said, "What's this for?"

"You sounded like you could use some," I explained.

"Thanks, but I'm good."

Not 5 minutes later it sounded again. More disgusting than the first time. And as I cringed, I had to wonder, am I being too sound sensitive? I know I have a little quirk when it comes to that. But honestly, I know I'm not the only one in my area this bothers. A lot.

So I reminded him about the Kleenex and even offered him more.

Once again, I got the "no thanks" comment.

Yet after he went into a choking fit from too much booger in his thrat, he used the tissue, and wouldn't ya know, I get this comment thrown at me: "Thanks. That Kleenex really did the trick!"

He was excited. As though Kleenex was a novel idea.

It's nice to know the little things make Mr. Strange so happy. And the remainder of my afternoon was quiet and peaceful. And maybe I even did a small good deed to boot.

1 Comments:

  • I used to work with someone that would clip her nails at her desk too. It was weird. I mean, I can understand if you break one or get a catch on one and need to trim one nail. But all 10 digits? Strange, indeed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home