Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

05 January 2007

Day of Annoyances

I woke up early (on my own!) after a night of a few Bacardi and Diets and just knew that today was going to be a day where nothing went 100% right and everything annoyed me a bit more than usual.

It all started with an email this morning from FTF, who I know has been under the weather for days now. When we spoke yesterday he sounded awful, and I can only imagine how he feels having just been amazingly ill myself. It still annoyed me to hear that our evening plans would be less than fulfilling or extraordinarily pleasant. Not that it's his fault he's sick, but why did it have to be this weekend?

Then there was the passport picture debacle right before lunch. I have been putting off getting my passport renewed for several weeks and decided it needed to be done. So yesterday I filled out the forms and brought my passport to work and talked to accounting about cutting me a check, and then I realized: Duh! I need pictures. So today I went to Kinko's because I have always had better luck with pictures there than at Walgreen's. Plus, it's closer to the office. I was immediately waited on and felt like things were going smoothly--until it came time to actually take the picture. Out came this monstrosity of a digital camera and the woman seemed to have no clue how to work it. She was so busy talking with her co-worker about fried fish (whatever!) that I was second fiddle to the food talk. So there I was, with this goofy grin on my face, just waiting for the picture to be snapped. The first one didn't take--no flash or operator error. You pick. By the time the second one was taken, my cheeks hurt from smiling and I was gritting my teeth in annoyance. The Kinko's woman showed me the picture, which made me groan. She looked at me and literally said, "It's only a passport picture." Only a passport picture?!?! In my line of work, a lot of people see that picture. Co-workers, friends, numerous people at customs in many countries, and several folks in tourist offices handing out visas. A lot of people see that picture and I didn't like the one she took. Seeing that it's digital, I honestly thought something would be able to be done about deleting it and trying again. Maybe this time faster and without distractions. But no. So I waited for the print out, which was even worse than the image on camera (if that's possible), and $14 later I have the ugliest passport picture ever. I will not use these. New ones will be taken elsewhere tomorrow.

On to lunch, where I learned that there are some people in our office who are religious bigots. The same people also have something against the infirm. It makes my blood boil.

As if my mood couldn't worsen, I later learned that New Sales Dweeb invited several people to a marketing networking night next Thursday -- and I didn't get an invitation. Of course, no one he invited was actually in marketing. Go figure. Granted, I'm busy Thursday night, but it's the point of the matter. Plus, let's not forget that this is also the guy with zero social skills who I have officially declared is dead to me. (Harsh, perhaps, but drastic times deserve drastic measures).

Of course, the day rounded out with the train ride home, where I finally found a seat in the packed car next to a man who sniffled like crazy and also refused to move his laptop bag from between us. I was literally wedged into the bench and was miserable but refused to move on principle alone. Of course, directly across the aisle from me was a nail biter/slurpy sucker. Hope that finger tasted good, buddy. Ugh!

So now I must finish packing and head up to Milwaukee. I'm totally not rushing and instead will enjoy the leisurely drive up there and anything the evening presents. Because I'm not meeting Spinelli, my old college roomie, until tomorrow at 1, I have all morning at my disposal. First up will be a trip to the downtown Kinko's for another try at a more pleasing passport picture. Then, a trip to the art museum, which I haven't been to in years. And of course, once Spinelli gets up there, the real fun begins!

I have a feeling the evening hours through the weekend will be far more enjoyable and filled with far less annoyances than today has held.

2 Comments:

  • You poor thing! Those days totally suck, I can relate. I hope your weekend in Milwaukee is full of fun and laughs!!!! Looking forward to our "date" at the end of the month!

    By Blogger RockerMom, at 11:16 AM  

  • 1) How is it not possible to retake a digital photo? It's not as if it cost them anything!

    2) People who bite their nails in public make me want to scream obscenities 2 inches from their face.

    3) Enjoy your weekend!

    By Blogger Elle Starr, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home