Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

21 January 2006

January Blues

The snow storm moved in pretty forcefully last night, and I skipped drinks with friends and family to hunker down and watch bad TV and read, fully intending to sleep in this morning and make a lazy day of it.

That was, until Dad woke me with the words, "Your mother and I are going to the hospital."

I think my heart stopped. I knew I wanted to vomit, which sucks when you know you weren't drinking the night before. We finally cleared up the fact that they were fine, but Brother #2 had been in the emergency room as of 1:30 this morning and was now going into surgery.

The man needs to work on his story delivery.

So no sleeping in for me. Instead, I waited in the surgery waiting room with the 'rents and Brother #2's fiancee for a few hours until he was moved into his room.

Turns out Brother #2 decided he was hungry at 12:30 and went to a little sub joint for a pizza puff after a few drinks. Chatty as he is, he turned to talk to his woman and slipped on the ice build-up from the big storm as he was walking out the door. Landed wrong and broke his femur.

Surgery to insert a metal rod and a few screws later, he's doing well. I feel awful for him and am beginning to think that if I had gone out for drinks with him like he wanted me to, he wouldn't have been there to slip and fall and hurt himself. But if it was fated to happen- his broken leg- then I doubt I could've changed that. But at least if I had been out, then I wouldn't have had expectation to sleep in -- which I did have, and they were dashed away early this morning.

The bright spot of him in the hospital is Brother #1, SIL, and Diva Niece came into town and stopped by afterwards. Diva Niece naturally adores Auntie MoC, and we had great fun hanging out for a few hours.

The good news of the day is the snow didn't amount to as much as expected in the area, and it's melting pretty well. The mild winter can return whenever it's ready...Oh, and Brother #2 is still on a morphine drip and is doing really well. Crutches class tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home