Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

02 March 2008

Grandparent Day

Today I am lunching with a friend's grandmother. She's a lovely, classy woman full of wonderful, romantic stories from year's goneby. I enjoy her company, not just because of these stories and her funny comments on everything under the sun, but mostly because she's a grandma. A novelty for me.

Growing up grandparent-less for the majority of my life, spending time with an older generation who has wisdom, insight, and who has seen the world change in so many ways- both positive and negative- is unfamiliar to me. And something I crave.

I never realized what I missed out on by not having a grandparent in my life growing up until I started to meet friend's grandparents. Only then did I realize that I am in the minority. These friends don't know what's like to have a limited core family; to have gatherings where the oldest generation present is your parents; to be truly thankful for having these special people in their life for so very long. What is very apparent to me is it's something that was lacking in my development and something absent in who I am today. Though I don't think it has negatively impacted me, a reversal of fortune could have made me a better person. I'll never know.

So Ann and I will be enjoying a senior special at some above-average dining establishment where I can understand, if only fleetingly, what it's like to have someone that special in your life and perhaps pretend, for just a moment, that my life wasn't robbed of such opportunity at such a young age.

If you have a grandparent, give them a call today just to say hi. Count yourself as lucky that you have them in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home