Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

14 January 2008

The Low Hype Golden Globes

I knew it was coming. I tried to prepare myself for it. No fabulous designer dresses. No champagne-swilling celebs. No long, occasionally drunk speeches. I knew, really, that this year the big kick-off of awards season would be the antithesis of all things Hollywood. And I thought I accepted it.

I boycotted the reading of the silly press release. Really, did anyone care what Billy Bush had to say? Instead, I found the list of winners and without much fanfare skimmed them, looking for where my kudos (Tina Fey) and jeers (there were several questionable judgments in my humble opinion) would have been placed had there been a real ceremony.

I thought I accepted all of this and would move on. I was wrong. I have a sense of loss. It wasn't just those stars who lost their chance to shine (and really, that should be enough...but since this is about me...), but it was also all of the fans (millions and millions) of the annual program that lost their one night of the year to indulge in a guilty pleasure.

I support the WGA. They're right for what they're fighting for. There couldn't have been a real ceremony due to picket lines actors refused to cross. I respect that as they stand in support of their writers. I do. But selfishly, I do worry about where this leaves us for the SAG awards or the Oscars. Can we really have a celebration of movies via a press release? Again? I fear not.

(Yes, shallow, I am aware. And a tad self-absorbed at times (like now). But I am one of the aforementioned concerned guilty-pleasure-seekers.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home