Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

30 December 2007

The Penultimate Day of the Year

On this, the second to last day of 2007, I have found myself looking back and wondering just how well I succeeded in accomplishing some of the goals (not resolutions) I set for myself at the end of last year. A peek into the past 364 days has shown that even though I may have seeemingly forgotten about most of them, my subconscious was keeping score after all.

In the Wins column:

* I did take advantage of my travel opportunities and had the good fortune to spend extra time in Italy in March, taking a nice little minibreak to Florence. I also made it back to St. Martin for what was yet another fabulous island vacation.

* My inner domestic goddess was nurtured to the hilt. I cooked more than ever and found that my specialties include pies, quiches, and lasagna.

* Reading remained a big part of '07. My daily train rides to work and back make it possible to knock out a minimum of one book per week.

In the Losses column:

* Getting settled was but a pipe dream. More than 1.5 years into living in my condo and it still looks as though I recently moved in. A big clean-up/unpacking effort needs to take effect soon before I decide to just start pitching things in what I will surely later term a regrettably psychotic episode.

* Budget? What budget? In what has turned out to be an unfortunate turn to the other side, I find myself in a debt-laden life. Best to nip this in the bud in '08.

In the It's Still Happening (I Think) column:

* I'm continuing to try to work at those things I love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brother, SIL, and Diva Niece officially move at the end of January. Bro's going-away party was last night, and I think he's actually viewing the entire move from a bittersweet standpoint. He and SIL left today for a week in San Diego to find a place to live "for the time-being." Diva Niece is currently residing at g'ma and g'pa's house, where she is whirring around like a mini-hurricane. I'm relishing spending time with her this week, as this will likely be the last opportunity for a long time. It's apparent just how attached we are, and I have a feeling the separation will be equally hard for the both of us. My heart should not be allowed to break like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home