Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

19 October 2006

Vive La France

My time in France was phenomenal. Business was good and vacation even better. Started out in Paris, arguably one of my favorite cities, and spent the day visiting some of my favorite places. It was like saying hello to beautiful old friends.

The adventure began the following day with a flight to Nice, where we picked up a car and drove to Cannes (home base for our stay). We had the most fantastic, spacious room with a huge terrace where we sipped multiple bottles of the most delicious red wine every night.

Drove west the first day, stopping in the most picturesque seaside towns including Theoule-sur-Mer, Agay, Cap du Dramont, St. Raphael, and St. Tropez. The next day saw us traveling east, past Nice (which is not nice from what I saw--terrible construction and traffic) to Monaco where I saw Prince Albert and was mesmerized by the deepest, dreamiest shade of blue water I have ever seen.

Additional days saw us trekking through the woods on the island of Ste. Marguerite and stepping around the spooky fortress known for holding the Man in the Iron Mask. The "dorms" were like an aqua-shaded Dacau. It gave me bad chills.

Spent four hours finding a room the last night in Paris because pre-planning everything isn't the way we roll. Our saving grace that night was the late-night hotel bar, where a whopping glassful of Calvados played its mind-altering tricks on me--flying high that night and being a sloppy wreck the next morning. It was somehow all worth it.

This was undoubtedly one of the very best vacations I have ever had with experiences unrivaled by many I have had in my lifetime. The scenery was stunning; the camraderie fantastical. I feel so lucky to have had such a wonderful experience.

Returning to Chicago saw a wicked chill in the air and the leaves crunching under my feet. Dear Ex-Beau must have missed me quite a bit as evidenced by his emails and calls, and I somehow have been put into the most tranquil of moods because I handled it all in stride and even enjoyed our last conversation.

Vacation is good for the soul. This one inparticularly so. It's hard to believe it's over, and though I won't soon forget it I wish it could've lasted just a tiny bit longer--if only to have savored some of the minute details a bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home