Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

27 September 2006

My First Creepy Crawlie

I came home tonight after a productive evening of birthday present shopping for upcoming friend and family celebrations to find an ugly, medium-sized zillion-legger near the baseboard in my kitchen. All I could do was groan audibly, grab a big wad of paper towel, and hope to squish it. I forgot how fast those buggers moved. I tried a few more times, and finally think I got it--or not.

Before you start to think I have this weird bug infestation, I'll tell you that these particular annoyances are indigenous to brick buildings, especially in this area. I saw my first (oddly, not in this particular area) in my first apartment when I was 20. After the first, it's extended network of zillion-legger family and friends moved in. Throughout the 2 years I lived there, it wasn't unheard of to run across one scurrying across the hardwood floors. Yeah, they're disgusting, but it was just a big annoyance.

My second apartment saw a few doing the same thing. I only lived there for a year. The house I rented for a few years, just a few miles from my current abode, saw enough of them as well. My roomie would often scream about one in her room and I would have to be the hero and come kill it. Ick! (I did manage to come up with some creative techniques to snatch the beasts without leaving their innards on the wall. Anything sticky works well.) My last serious boyfriend (also nearby) had a few of them roaming around his house as well.

So really, this isn't anything unusual, per se. My history of slaying these nasties should have me prepared. But still...I don't like them. I never saw any here before tonight, and I was a happy person. Now...Well, now, I am going to fly into paranoid mode and check the walls and floors regularly looking for them. That's just how I am. I'm hoping it's just the time of year. I'm hoping it's a one-time occurence.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if it's safe to spray near the radiators "just in case." (Is it?) Or treat the baseboards with such toxins. It's not as though I'll be licking them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home