Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

08 January 2006

TMI

Some people have no tact when it comes to sharing personal information about others -- especially in front of the person in question. Last night I attended a friend's birthday celebration and was presented with just that instance. I had never met one of her friends that was present, and as the evening was winding down a good friend of mine mentioned quite casually that said old friend was no nicey-nice girl, as she had an affair during her first marriage. This- in front of the woman!

(A) This information had nothing to do with any topic of conversation we had covered throughout the night or were covering at the given moment.

(B) Since no additional information was provided on said illicit affair, I have no idea what the extenuating circumstances were nor what the relevance to me or anything was supposed to be.

(C) I just met the woman an hour or so before, and likely will never see this friend of theirs again. So I don't have an opinion. And it's not for me to judge.

It put all me in an awkward situation. All I could do was stare across the table at their friend and shrug. She, on the other hand, appeared appropriately mortified and soon excused herself for her drive home. Conversation continued on- with no mention of the obvious social faux pas- but it did make me think: Sharing too much information about yourself is uncomfortably one thing, but to share too much information about someone else- especially in front of them- is quite another. A social time out was definitely in order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home