Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

24 August 2007

Water-Logged in Chicago

I like rain. Sometimes it's ideal for those pensive days or cozy evenings and occasionally welcome after large stretches of enormous Midwest heat. But what we've had the past week has exceeded even my tolerance. Someone in Chicago pissed off the rain gods, and oh boy they were angry.

Last night's storm interrupted every commuter's trip home and caused countless episodes of damage throughout the entire Chicagoland area. I was one of the lucky ones. My electricity stayed on--and being a condo owner, I didn't have to worry about water in the basement. My car did not have any trees fall on it, and aside from wading through the crosswalks on my way home from the train even my street remained relatively water-free.

I, on the other hand, didn't fare quite as well. I naturally forgot my umbrella and was caught in the heaviest of the downpours, lightning strikes and all. Peeling off my clothes as I walked in the door, all I could do was give thanks that I hadn't dressed up and worn fantastic shoes that day, which surely would've been ruined during the walk home.

This morning brought a whole other view. The storms overnight passed and it looked like a war zone. Large branches everywhere...and the river. Oh my god, the river is just massively overflowing. The access road running alongside of it is completely washed out, with standing water coming up to the road signs. Sand bags didn't help that road or the people that live off of it.

Chicagoans have rallied and pulled together. Moving trees, helping out neighbors. We do it all. But Jesus, please, enough already! It's time for the rain to go away so we can enjoy the last remaining weeks of summer before our forever-long winter comes back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home