Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

22 August 2007

Canasta Auf Deutsche

Playing Canasta with the Germans. That's how I spent my evening. You'd think I was 80 and whooping it up in a Florida seniors home. But no, I was celebrating a 12-year-olds birthday with sushi, the yummiest berry cake, and a couple of rousing games of cards (I had to be taught how to play, of course). Odd? Maybe. Good times? Hell yeah.

During one of the games, CC turned to me and casually mentioned that she rented her duplex in record time and therefore will be moving to NC much sooner than either of us expected.

Though I'm thrilled for her and her hubby (after all, this move will be good for him career-wise and NC is only an AA flight away--and how nice will that be come March, when the winter doldrums are in full swing?) and am well aware that the move is intended to be for only 2 or so years, I guess I never realized how awful the prospect of saying good-bye would be--especially with it seeming just like yesterday when we all welcomed her and her hubby back home (has it really been 4 years?).

Saying good-bye to dear friends just sucks. And even worse: as of right now it appears as though I may be in Germany (yes, of all places...though it's doubtful I'll be playing Canasta with any locals) when they leave town.

So now this news will forever be associated with Canasta. Somehow, it all seems too fitting.

3 Comments:

  • But thankfully, you may never have to play canasta again until you move into a retirement home.

    What the hell IS canasta anyway?

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:10 PM  

  • Ah yes...and then I'll have a leg up over the other blue haired's. If you know Rummy, it seems to be a derivation of that.

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 9:59 PM  

  • Mistress,

    Please remember that you haven't lost a friend, she just relocated. And today, keeping in touch is easier and cheaper than ever. I know it's sad for you to see her leave, but she's still your friend and you can avail yourself to everything that her friendship offers. (I'm just trying to get you to see the silver lining....she's still alive!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home