Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

21 July 2007

My Cupcake Obsession

I have long loved cupcakes. This passion has existed for close to 30-some-odd years, well before it became the trendy treats of today's celebs.


I have been on this cupcake binge this summer. Not eating them...making them. I am obsessed, and I really have no idea why. Needless to say, on any given weekend I am surrounded by more cupcakes than I know what to do with. My friends and coworkers, of course, are loving the Polly Homemaker me.


In a moment of insane desperation, I introspectively turned on myself and I think I've found where all of this stems: I am not satisfied with any batch that's made. It's simply not the kind want. And after some soul searching I have figured out what soul food I need to kick this ridiculous obsession: chocolate chip cupcakes.


Back in 1984-85, it was my favorite kind of cupcake. Betty Crocker or Pillsbury (not sure which) had this amazing mix with a matching frosting. It was better than words can even describe. I remember bringing them to school for the birthday treat, and everyone loved them. My favorite cupcakes were a hit!


And then they went away. Mom stopped making them on special occasions and I actually sort of forgot about them until this odd little obsession sparked deep within me. I have looked high and low at all the local stores and cannot find this variety of cupcake. Mom thinks they stopped making them a loooong time ago, and that hurts. It's like this tiny happy little part of my childhood has disppeared.

So there is only one solution: Make my own. Hopefully that will put an end to the crazy baking and I can go back to just enjoying my lovable passion for the little cakes. Though I will do my very best to improvise and recreate the yummy treat, I first need to come to terms with the simple fact that some things never stay the same.

2 Comments:

  • my kids LOVE choco chip cup cakes! I just add a little extra vanilla to a white cake mix and then put a small cookie scoop of batter into the cup, add a sprinkle of choco chips and cover with another scoop of batter. This technique also works well with PBandJ. Sounds gross, but surprisingly good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM  

  • Thanks for the tip, Elle! I will definitely have to try this.

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home