Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

31 August 2007

Little Annoyances

Maybe it's because we work closely and maybe it's because we spend more than a fair amount of time together socially, but whatever the reason PR Waif is one person who can try my last good nerve. Usually, I'm quite capable of taking a deep breath, counting to ten, and letting the moment pass, but in the past week things have been taken to a new level of annoyance.

Let's review some of her perky, wrong, and/or frustratingly ridiculous comments:

"This is crostini. It's like bruschetta, only warm."
Referring to an appetizer at a business dinner earlier in the week.

PR Waif: "I go horseback riding all the time."
Colleague: "Really? I didn't know that about you."
PR Waif: "Sure! But yesterday was the first time in several years."
Overheard in the office.

Me [to a mutual friend]: "Sure, leave it to you to be the only one laughing [at that comment]."
PR Waif: "I'm laughing." [clearly not laughing]

Colleague: "I think I'm going to have the salad."
PR Waif: "Ugh. I'm sick of the salad. Plus, it always makes me so full."
Me: "I've been craving this salad all week. It may be filling, but not as much as their sandwiches."
PR Waif: "I'm getting that salad, too."

PR Waif [to a mutual friend]: "Oh, you're finally starting to stand-up in weddings! Just wait and see how much of a money drain it can be."
Mutual Friend: "Yeah, I know. This isn't the first one I've been in."
PR Waif: "Oh yeah? Like, how many have you been in? I'm in four in 2008."

PR Waif: "Did Customer call you any time recently? He's really pissed."
Me: "Yeah, he left me a couple messages. And we've had numerous email exchanges. He's also been pestering Colleague. What's his problem now?"
PR Waif: "MoC, he's really pissed off. Why do I bother doing my job if you guys always drop the ball?"
Let it be known: No ball was dropped; Customer is just melodramatic and this is his "thing."

I need a serious break from PR Waif. Just being in her presence for more than a few minutes irks me. And I hate that because she can be a very thoughtful, sweet girl. It's just that annoying je ne sais quoi surrounding her that gets me each and every time. Nothing a little break can't fix, though. Too bad there's no "break" any time in the near future. I need a buffer so very badly before I say something I really mean but shouldn't say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home