Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

28 June 2007

Dior Sunglasses and the LaSalle Street Bus

There are certain activities that I just know will be interesting before I even do them. Riding the #156 bus during evening rush hour is one of them. By the time the crowds of people pile on at Madison, there is a 100% guarantee of having an interesting exchange or happening of some sort with a fellow rider. This evening was no exception. And it involved not one person but rather the whole front half of the bus.

As we lurched down LaSalle, PR Waif kept adjusting her Dior sunglasses atop her head. The same sunglasses I never see on her face so much as on top of her head. Sure, most women push back their hair or utilize sunglasses in this fashion for short periods of time, but PR Waif will wear the glasses atop her head all the time. And really, I'm sure it's because she's showing off the Dior name. In the office, in meetings, on a plane, on a bus, in gloomy weather (like today), or in the darkest of night, there will be the glasses--atop her head.

So as the bus screeched to a halt before we rear-ended a car, it's no surprise that I felt a shot of bitchy glee tingle through me as I watched PR Waif's Dior sunglasses fly off her head and disappear. As she cried out about her lost possession, I couldn't help but crack wise about the sunglasses and her distraught nature. In a matter of minutes, all of the surrounding passengers were in on the gentle ribbing and I had a nice little pool going about where the glasses would be found.

(Sorry Blond Betting Boy and Dark-Haired Mystery Man, you were off by several rows of seats. It's too bad you got forced to the back of the bus by the crabby driver before the glasses were located and positioned- once again- atop her head (Yes, really). You would've enjoyed the celebration when the glasses were found and would've really enjoyed the comments directed at the glasses by my friend (e.g. "I'm so happy I found you, my pretty.") Wish you could've been there to cheer with the rest of the crowd.)

Yes, PR Waif loved the attention. And the joviality made for an unusually enjoyable commute. I wish I could take this bus more often. It would do wonders in making my daily commute faster and more entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home