Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

28 April 2007

Oh, Jealousy (alternate title: When It Rains, It Pours)

Yesterday we celebrated Rafferty's birthday with karaoke and copious drinks. It was way low-key and full of many surprises. The best one being The Crush's re-entry into my life. As Rafferty recapped it this morning, "Once you two locked eyes, no one else existed." Cliche? Maybe. True? Yes.

What made the evening especially interesting is while The Crush and I were catching up on the past year, DXB was working up the courage to come crash our reunion for a chat, pacing back and forth between us and eavesdropping whenever possible. When he finally did find an opening for himself, my heart actually hurt a little for him as he was so obviously jealous and trying to not only stand out but steer my sole attention to him. (It didn't work.)

Come the end of the evening, I had personal after-party invitations from the both of them and it should be no surprise that I agreed to go with The Crush. Which happened to crush DXB a little more than a small bit. To add insult to his own injured heart (or libido...or both), he decided to call me when he got home just as The Crush and I were ready to get reacquainted. I know he was fishing for something. Exactly what remains a mystery. I know I shouldn't but I can't help but feel a tiny bit sorry for him. I've never seen him quite so vulnerable or let his guard down quite so much.

Despite that, I can say with very much honesty that it was really quite excellent being with The Crush, enjoying his company, and spending a leisurely morning of extra-strong coffee in his backyard with him.

I can say with complete certainty that he will be on my mind for much of the day. I didn't realize how much I truly missed him until he was before me. If the past 18 hours are any indication, this could be the start of an extra-fun summer.

2 Comments:

  • Are The Crush and DXB the same two gentlemen who were at karaoke when you and I went????

    By Blogger RockerMom, at 8:33 PM  

  • Heeee... Um, well, you've seen DXB. You have not seen or met The Crush. Friday night was the first time we've seen each other in over a year.

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home