Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

23 April 2007

Under-Valued

Today I received one of those mixed blessings; the curse of news that is both good and bad and a lot of things in-between. Today I learned that I am not going to Asia in 5 weeks for my show.

Being in the event planning business I can say that working my arse off for nearly a year to make this thing go off without a hitch, get a critical mass of people there, and have the optimum publicity and buzz has big pay off when I'm at the event. There is nothing quite like running around like crazy, multitasking and witnessing that all of the long hours and hard work was not in vain. It's just not even close to the same when reports are called or emailed in from the show.

The decision was made for budgetary reasons. I am all for being a team player, and I respect my budget and that of the company and understand that if there isn't money to send all of the necessary people then so be it. But to not send me?!? That was a slap in the face. A hard one.

Oddly enough, the slap had a delayed reaction--because my first thought was a giddy one. A "woohoo, I don't have to go" one. Honestly, I've been to this location before. I don't have much desire to go again, especially for 10 days. And I think of the amount of work that I can get done while everyone's out of the office, and I'm actually looking forward to those days.

But then... Then it hit. The slap reaction. The sting. There were so many other people that could have been cut from the travel list. So many other people that don't have much to do when they're at these events. Is this precedent-setting? What does this say about how my position is viewed from the executive who made this decision (who, mind you, I get along with well)?

In the end, I can only view this in one way: I am completely under-valued. Seeing as I have never, ever been treated this way during my entire career, it's an entirely foreign feeling and an equally foreign situation. I'm waffling between being flabbergasted and being disgusted and am ultimately hurt and entirely miffed.

Seeing as there is little that can be said (the decision has been made--without my consultation or opinion), I can only channel Scarlett: Tomorrow is another day.

Good Lord, let it be a good one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home