Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

14 February 2007

The Lying Rodent

Remember when I said the city has learned about winter advisory warnings? Though it's true they now alert Chicagoans about impending bad weather well in advance of said weather battering the city, they obviously have learned nothing about clean-up.

It took me 1 1/2 hours to get barely 3 miles by taxi yesterday. The streets were a mess, full of slush with cars sliding every which way. My cab driver said the plows stopped driving around 2pm. Apparently, there was too much traffic for them to work properly and they'd reconvene after rush hour. I think that's a bunch of b.s.

The dinner party was awesome and when I left at 10 I was pleasantly surprised to find that streets were cleaner (but still had a long way to go). The drive to the train still took more than 30 minutes, leaving me to mill about aimlessly until the 11:30 train. Lemme tell ya, there's absolutely nothing to do in a train station at 10:30pm besides drink--and the bar was so packed with people coming home from the Opera I didn't even want to bother. Plus, I already had a nice buzz going and didn't want to push myself too far in the wrong direction.

The 11:30 train left 20 minutes late and I finally made it to my stop at 12:30am. And then waded through snowdrifts up to my knees to go the remaining two blocks to home sweet home. 4 1/2 hours of sleep later, I awoke to it still snowing and no clean-up on my suburban streets and sidewalks. What the hell, right? It was as I waded back to the train this morning that I cursed my association fees and whatever plowing company handles my suburb's streets. Cars were spinning out and I was grateful in more than a small way that I didn't have to drive in this crap.

The snow lasted for well over 24 hours and has finally stopped. I have yet to brush off my car, but from what I can tell there is an angel among us for it looks like someone dusted it off quite nicely. At least it appears that way. Now the cold is supposed to set in and stay. And I want to kill that lying, no good rodent that got all of our hopes up that for once in many, many years spring would come sooner rather than later. Damn Phil.

The bright spot that came this week that I am clinging to in order to (mentally) escape this mess: I am off to Italy at the end of March. Work in Milan followed by a weekend holiday in Florence. Delovely, I tell you, just delovely.

(yeah, yeah...so much for no travel 'til June. But I'm actually ready to get back on the road and I've never been to Italy so I'm in no way upset by this news.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home