Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

22 December 2006

All I Want for Christmas...

...is half of a new liver. I figure that the healthy half of an organ can eat up the remaining bad half of what will be left in me, and then I will be set for 2007. Oh, and if I can really ask for things, I also want my stomach scraped of every ounce of bad crap that has been forced into it. It's been a rough past couple weeks, and it will only continue on through NYE.

House cleaning matters
Pictures from the very awesome Raclette dinner party Sunday night.


The Raclette contraption. Pie-shaped pieces under the round grill is where you throw the semi-soft Raclette (or any other meltable cheese). The grill for veggies and meat is the round thing up top.





Just half of the ridiculous raw food buffet.



The fine art of Raclette.

Seriously...Way too much fun. Very social. Very European. Very cool. And in all honesty, this is what I want for Christmas (or any other special occasion where gifts are given to nice girls like me).

Productivity
Yay for me! Despite the slow start, the holidays are proving to be a great success, not only socially but in all other matters as well. Christmas shopping was 100% completed yesterday afternoon.

Today's day off provided an amazing assortment of accomplishments:
* 5 loads of laundry. Done. (Let's not even talk about how it got that out of control, but if you care to guess, see liver comment above).
* Rum balls. Done.
* No-bake chocolate-peanut butter-oatmeal cookies (so sweet it hurts). Done.
* Three varieties of fudge. Done.
* Spiced pecans. Done.
* Toffee bars. Done.

As a treat to myself, I was persuaded to go out tonight for a little karaoke and holiday cocktails. (Hey, I worked my butt off today. I deserve it.)

On the docket for tomorrow (because do you really think I'm done with the cookie factory?):
* Sugar cookies with home-made icing (Um...Yum!)
* More spiced pecans (easy but time-intensive)
* Maybe more toffee bars (because they're that good)
* Possibly some shortbread (depending on time)

Then...the holiday season gets underway with family activities. Off to Glendale Heights for Dad's side of the family the day before Christmas Eve party, consisting of zillions of cousins and their kids and so much food I am already starving myself to make room for it all.

Of course, this is said after last night's first installment of the Jeunesse Doree dinner party, held at Ady's awesome West Town apartment. Appeteasers included home-made blue-cheese stuffed dates wrapped in bacon, stuffed grape leaves, and asiago cheese bread with garlic-olive oil dipping sauce. Main course: chicken parmesean and spinach pasta with a pesto, olive, tomatoe and feta cheese sauce. Dessert: tiramisu. Good cab for imbibing and loads of laughter (my side still hurts) among good friends and that was our fantastic evening.

Of course, I have no idea how I will top this, but I was considering a lower-the-bar, no-expectations type evening- aka the Ultimate White Trash Jeunesse Doree gathering- to include cold queso dip from a jar along with a bag of Tostitos, chili mac and cheap pasta, hot dogs, maybe some spaghettios, and for dessert, jello with mayo topping. To drink: Schlitz (in cans, of course). Entertainment: well, not to make fun, but karaoke. But I joke. About the food. Regardless of what I serve (and no, it won't be anything mentioned above), karaoke will be our evening entertainment, because 3 of the 4 of us enjoy good lyrical fun.

2 Comments:

  • Aw, I'm jealous, I want to karaoke! But I have to conserve my voice for two VERY long masses on Sunday, one of which I'm "soloing." So let's be sure to plan a night out in January so I can hear you sing, girlfriend!

    By Blogger RockerMom, at 6:19 PM  

  • I'm not sure if you WANT to hear me sing! But it'll be fun either way. Definitely some time in January.

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home