Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

16 December 2006

The Office-esque Holiday Party

My holiday office party was yesterday, and because we're not a normal bunch of people it was something that could have come straight out of "The Office."

The big event started like any other of our past holiday parties. The trolley came by (I was cringing hoping an old friend wasn't driving because that would be a smidge embarrassing for the both of us), and the holiday carols began. I know all of the new people (and we have quite a few of them) were flushed with embarrassment wondering what the hell they got themselves into. I know where they're coming from. I sort of felt that way my first Christmas with the company. Because really, there is something about adults singing on wheels that is just...well, a little strange. Because I'd rather make my own fun than suffer through the embarrassed shifts and silence from the newbies, I made sure to sing extra-loud and a tiny bit off-key to prove that even one of the coolest officemates plays along good naturedly.

We unloaded at Grand Lux where we had a nice private room, holiday music piped in, big glasses of yummy wine being passed -- and assigned seating. Sign #1 that things were going to be a bit different this year. Sign #2 that we were in for more than light banter with colleagues came in the form of a cross between holiday and Christmas trivia for each table, which we did over lunch. Nothing like not being able to really enjoy your meal. I have no idea what the winning table received, but I do know that a couple careless answers cost us the big win. We ended the party with- you guessed it- more signing. By this time, everyone was more mello and the singing was a bit more off-key and more laughs could be heard.

The whole thing ended a little before 3 and a group of us headed straight to Pippins Tavern, the closest bar around that we knew would be open. For some reason, 3 turned into 5 and things began to get naughty. By 7, Co-Worker and I decided that, as my holiday cards stated this year, naughty really is the new nice as we made out by the tables we had commandered. I can only laugh at what some people must have thought about us. And at 9 I was insistent that no, I am not going home with you because that would just be wrong, and that yes, I was hopping on the next train home -- but I am sooo flattered by the offer of more no-strings attached fun, thanks. (A few more Stella's and I know I would have had to take him up on the offer)

Being a little over-served, I decided to rest my weary eyes and settle in for the we're-making-every-stop train trip home. And managed to somehow completely pass out and wake up to, "Now approaching...Barrington." What!?! Barrington! What the f**k! As I exited the train, I asked the conductor when the next train going east was and his response (2 hours!) was unacceptable. Luckily, my guardian angel was so looking out for me because there was one lone cab waiting outside the train station. 30 minutes later, I was home without even a tiny hint of a buzz and all I could think was I should've stayed out longer in the city, thereby missing all trains going home, and would've had to take a cab which would've been faster and cheaper than my journey turned out to be.

Utterly exhausted, I went straight to bed and was enjoying a nice, snuggly-warm sleep when the shrill ring of the phone woke me -- at 3am. 3am! What the f**k! I flew out of bed thinking there was some emergency and who should it be but DXB. What should've turned into a booty call gone bad turned into an hour-long conversation, which- considering the time and how tired I was and how happy-tipsy he was- was actually pretty funny and nice. When he suggested we get together (yes, that early in the morning), I told him I was being more than tolerant and nice to stay up on the phone with him this long but was hanging up now. Me thinks I should be expecting a call outside of his weekly holiday calling pattern tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Needless to say, most of the errands and planned activities I had for today flew by the wayside due to being excruciatingly tired today. Which is fine and all. Tonight will be movie night with Rafferty, which is right up my alley. And then tomorrow can be the day of activity. On the agenda: highlights/haircut/wax appointment in the AM followed by finishing up Christmas shopping once and for all and the Raclette dinner party rounding out the remainder of the day.

The weekend is only halfway through and I am pooped.

3 Comments:

  • OMG, that had me laughing so hard! I can't believe you woke up in Barrington...you must have shat yourself! Not sure making out with a co-worker is the best idea, although if he was cute then maybe it was worth it (unless I read that whole thing wrong!) I hope Monday morning doesn't start off with a whole bunch of pointing and whispering!!!

    So when are we doing dinner again??

    By Blogger RockerMom, at 11:08 PM  

  • Considering there has been a long attraction/flirtation between the two of us, this was a long time coming. We're good friends so it's not a big deal. The shock factor with other people made it all worth it, and he and I got big laughs out of it. If it were anyone else, I'd be a little worried about what to expect for Monday morning, but with him everything will be just fine (unless he totally has put on a good act the past 2 years). And if I'm wrong, you'll hear about it here first. Let's shoot for another get-together sometime in January. Maybe we can include a little karaoke...

    By Blogger mistressofchange, at 12:39 AM  

  • I'm looking forward to the Monday morning report... :)

    January sounds great and you know I'm always up for karaoke. By your place, right?

    By Blogger RockerMom, at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home