Losing Control of My Inner Monologue

01 June 2007

Cicada Watch

I thought I would get lucky and have this whole cicada infestation thing pass by my town. Over Memorial Day, I drew more than one sigh of relief that I had moved from the River Forest-Oak Park area, as I nearly drove into oncoming traffic as I drove down Chicago Avenue, staring in disgust at the little buggers clinging to trees and lamp posts. I told myself that if my little corner north of there was going to see any cicadas, hopefully it would be while I was in China so I wouldn't have to see any.

The rain yesterday must've made it easier for these creatures to birth themselves from the ground because I saw more than a few on my walk home from the train and even more just a few hours later as I was heading off for some Bacardi and diets down the road. I'm listening to them prattle away right now and am sending lots of thanks that my town will be under siege while I'm gone.

Cicadas, I beg you! Please do your business and go away before the middle of June. No offense, but you're really super ugly and annoying.

1 Comments:

  • MoC - You must be in Shanghai now (or wherever) but I have not heard or seen ONE cicada!!! Maybe they like your neighborhood better??? Be sure to email when you get back so we can firm up dinner plans!

    By Blogger RockerMom, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home